_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Arizona!! What a trip!


This was absolutely spectacular! It was super hot and I know it sounds dangerous, but if I had more time, I really would have wanted to walk about some of these places and take photos. It was simply gorgeous.

 This is at an overlook somewhere just into Arizona. It was incredibly hot, but for once I did not care. It took my breath away.


 A little Christmas town out in the middle of nowhere... closed, of course, but very interesting.
Boxcars piled on top of each other. Huge ones... like trailers for the back of semi's. 


 Twin Arrows. This used to be a gas station along Route 6. Only the arrows are left, and thank goodness.

 This used to be a mountain lion dwelling - close to the Twin Arrows and a few other Route 66 sites. Now all that's left is a little big of the enclosure. It's built upon an old Native town that supposedly is haunted because the Native people were burned alive inside of their dwellings - that was underground. I didn't see anything, but a storm rolled in just as we got there that was pretty damn spooky. Below is an old image I found online of what the enclosure looked like in it's heyday.
Me in the mountain lion exhibit.


 Even though I was freaking out over these funnel shaped rain clouds that were connecting earth to sky, I was told by an amused state worker that there are no tornadoes in Arizona. I told him that if I saw this back in Ohio - or in any other state while traveling back home - I would be in a ditch somewhere. He assured me that it was merely rain, and he sat watching them, in his truck, while eating lunch.
 I did not completely believe the man.


 So we booked it on outta there....

 
  More trains off in the distance....

Seeking refuge at the road side rest... waiting to see if there is, indeed, a tornado in Arizona.

No comments: