_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve: The Little Big Party


When I was growing up, my mom would tell me to spend New Year's Eve doing the things you wanted to do for the upcoming year. Mom, a poet, would often write. And for the past 2 decades, I've been spending my New Year's Eve having fun with my children. It's a tradition around here... to throw the kids an "adult" type party. I get the fake plastic champagne glasses that goes along so well with the fake champagne. The house is completely decorated, everyone has party hats, streamers and horns, and a buffet fit for any swanky adult party is laid out - within reach of the little ones. Though my eldest child, Chrissy, has given up on partying with dear ol' mom and now she throws parties of her own, my three remaining children seem to be content with the festivities. This year Alex had his girlfriend Cassi over (she's been here3 times before), Jake invited our cousin Nick, and for Silas I wanted my two foster grandchildren, Shelby and Lucas. Shelby is almost 5 and Lucas just turned 3. Here they are in the tent watching a DVD. Adorable, huh?

No comments: