_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, March 31, 2006

Another day in the country


I am a country girl. I am so country, that I still stand in awe before skyscrapers and anything with glass elevators. Much of the time, I travel more on a gravel road than a paved road, and I know what it's like to wash clothes in a ringer washer, to can veggies all day, to make homemade elderberry wine, and what it's like to run to an outhouse in the middle of the night, only to find a black snake curled up on the seat. Bleck! I've carried water, spent several summers swimming in an old sunken tub that's freezing with fresh spring water, and I've sat in the middle of an orchard with my belly full of all the apples and pears I could ever eat. I've swam in old mine pits (with beavers, no less), sat in many a'downpours, turned the TV antena so we could pick up at least ONE channel, and gathered eggs and milked the goat before breakfast. Yes, I am a country girl - and an appalachian mama... and I'd have it no other way.

No comments: