_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

4th July... AKA Fireworks Day





Chrissy's boyfriend, Billy, was in town this week and he spent a rainy evening with us under umbrella's while we all watched the fireworks in Nelsonville, Ohio (or, as we all say it, "Ah-Hi-Ya"). The 4th was never my favorite holiday, probably because I work with indigenous people and I know what the invaders did to their ancestors and all the feel-good falsehoods told to keep us ignorant of our true history. I feel a twinge of sadness this time of year because we're celebrating the invasion and hostile takeover - and continued occupation - of an already settled land. But... I do like fireworks, so... we call refer to this day as Fireworks Day.
And it was fun hanging out with Billy. I kept this year's diatribe to myself.

No comments: