_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, January 19, 2007

Yes I'm a Ralph Stanley fan



I was just saying a few months back that I didn't want to miss the next Ralph Stanley concert because I seemed to have missed him several times over the past few years, and I've always wanted to hear him sing live. So, off we went tonight and it was definitely worth the wait. My only disappointment was that he didn't sing Man of Constant Sorrow, but he made up for it when he stood alone on the stage and belted out Oh Death. It was both haunting and beautiful. He also sang with his son, and I just loved his voice, and played with his 14 year old grandson. Both the grandson and the son were quite sweet and I enjoyed meeting them. I do hope I get to see them play again. Their bluegrass made me even more proud to be Appalachian.

2 comments:

Window Shots and poetry thoughts said...

I would love to take pictures of his house from the inside..i bet he has a mansion in the country....sounds like you enjoyed yourself...

TJ said...

I guess he lives right next to my biological paternal great aunt and uncle in Virgina and they said his wife does hair and he's just a regular 'ol farmer. I'd love to sit a spell with him and talk about bluegrass and working on Oh Brother and hearing stories about his career. Sigh... Eventually I'll work on my Appalachian books and maybe I can meet him, or his children, and chat a spell.