_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

To blog or not to blog, that is the question

Recently a few friends of mine asked me why I like blogging. I guess I really hadn't given it much thought until that moment... and that's when I reponded by saying I like writing, I like photography, and I enjoy sharing the things that I like with others.

And then I went home...
and thought about it some more.

For me, blogging is a lot like having a conversation. I get to share my day/thoughts/work with others... and in turn, I get emails from those take the time to read what I have to say. In turn, I often go to THEIR blog and email THEM about what they have to say. Yes, the conversation takes a bit longer... but I like it.

When I was younger I always had a penpal. We would write long letters, exchange photos and trinkets, newspaper clippings and even candy. I once sent a watch to a penpal in Papua New Guinea and  he sent me  jewelry in return. I treasured that jewelry. It's still in the memory box I've kept it in for more than 30 years. I wonder if he kept that watch.

But blogging is also a means to promote your cause - and to entice others to join in with you. For example, I use my TRAMPS blog to discuss issues regarding lies in advertising (photoshopping photos) and to rally others to join in on the boycotts, letter writing campaigns, and other activism to forward the cause of eliminating deceptive advertising. So far, tho I have a small group thus far, I feel as though I am at least doing SOMETHING productive.

Blogging also allows us to connect with others indirectly. It used to be that we would tell someone to tell someone else something that we wanted them to know - but the info couldn't come from us. (Talk about deceptive! I know... but it works). Now people just put it on the blog and it's out there. No need for a middleman.

Or we can passive aggressively get points across that we normally wouldn't have the strength to do ourselves. 

And example is me posting a message to the asshole in Hawaii. (I believe the post is called something like HEY ASSHOLE IN HAWAII). That was meant for just ONE single person (well... and the spouse too, if they're also continuously creepin'). This is someone I don't really like seeing what I do or reading what I say. I can't stop him, of course, but I can make sure HE KNOWS that I know that he's still (after many years) obsessed with reading what I have to say. This is kinda fun for me (and if you want to know who I'm talking about, email me and I'll give you the 411 on this loser.) 

Then there's other people I HOPE are reading my blog. This is another form of being passive.. but it's not passive aggressive... it's more like passive communication. I WANT this person to see what I post because I often post about (this person) and though I'm angry at (him/her) I still miss (him/her) and hope that some day this person will figure it out and try to make amends.

 But I'm not always being passive... sometimes it's all about promotion.

Yes, I also blog to promote stuff. Like my book or my photography. It's a great marketing tool - much like a website, but way easier and WAY WAY WAY more personal. I love reading emails from those who bought my book and when they tell me where they're all from, I put a pin in a map so I can stand back and gwak at all the places my little book has traveled.

So I guess I blog for many reasons. To promote, to bitch, to share, to advise and even to communicate with people I'm not communicating with directly.

I'm sure I'll add more reasons in the future. But for now - this is my answer. That and... I just enjoy it.


No comments: