_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, June 3, 2006

Breaking out of my consumer dependence



It takes me forever to garden these days.. Maybe I'd be far more productive if I put my camera down. (Photos are flowers from my yard.) I'm hoping everything comes up and provides us with a bountiful harvest. We are big-time veggie eaters (meaning, my kids ask for salads as snacks and eat at least one for lunch and one for dinner - and that's even when they go to school. Yes, they're hooked.) and I'd like to save some money - since a big chunk of our grocery bill is veggies. The price of gas these days is outrageous and there's no end in sight. So, we gotta do what we gotta do. My first step is gardening and, perhaps, putting up a greenhouse. My mom always seemed to have a greenhouse and I just love them. I was also raised with chickens and can butcher my own (can we all say "country girl") - and that's a route I might just have to take anyway. But that's okay. I'd like to be self-sufficient. In today's times, we're all too dependent on Walmarts and McDonald's and not enough on ourselves.

But who am I to talk? I've just planted my garden.

6 comments:

rauf said...

Growing your own food is a great idea Terri and the greatest pleasure.

Barns of Ohio said...

Chickens ( in a chicken pen) would be #1 one thing id do if i got back to the country....Letting them run free is nice, but i'd need the eggs and want the babies to hatch et...like on the Waltons on t.v. and I'd have a huge, giant, garden/ and grow a lot of veg that don't need canned or frozen, like winter squash, fruits, like apples, and carrotts & root plants can be stored..
it ain't gonna get better....it will get worse..prices are nuts.

Heather said...

Some neato smeato photography there

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Pictures & Poems... said...

I wish i lived in the country..your pictures are so nice...Thanks for sharing them with us.

Pictures & Poems... said...

do you realize it's almost been 6 months since you had something to post here????? We miss you....